Wake up at 5am!
Self care is so critical in your daily life. It improves your physical and mental health in addition to boosting your productivity! When we don’t focus on ourselves, we are basically “pouring from an empty cup.” We start to get worn down and feel like life is just a struggle. It becomes difficult to serve others in our daily lives. It becomes difficult to feel like moving on throughout our days.
One way I have nurtured my well being is by waking at 5AM. Every day. On purpose! Yes, you heard me right. On purpose. Wait…what? What kind of crazy are we talking about, right?! Stick with me, it’s easier than you think!
I have a busy household. A husband, kids, animals, cooking, cleaning, errands, field trips, homeschooling, and the list goes on. Yikes, right? I use to think that my only time that I could get done with all the things I wanted to do was at night after I tuck all these things and little people away for the night. Late nights were my only time to be PRODUCTIVE.
That could not be farther from the truth. After everyone was in bed for the night, I had good intentions of “getting me time”. I would plop on the couch exhausted, grab a bowl of snacks and grab that clicker to then binge all my favorite shows. Not all that productive huh? Having a veg night watching television is not all bad. But it should be the exception not be the rule. Late nights have never served me well in the productivity department. I suspect I am not alone!
Waking early in the morning is no new idea. Many of the most successful, productive and happy people in the world have talked about how waking early in the morning before the rest of the world is moving around has improved their lives to the fullest. It is quiet. It gives us time to think or to not think at all! Have you ever noticed how difficult it is to process a complete thought when little people hog all the air time with stories all day long? No? Just my house?
Here are 5 ways that waking at 5am can improve your life!
- Productivity. Our brains tend to be more fresh and alert first thing in the morning. Take that time to make a list of important tasks for the day.
- More Energy. Waking early means sleeping earlier which means more sleep! Sleep is crucial and gives us more energy to tackle our busy days.
- Exercise. We all know how important exercise is to our well being. Our physical and mental health depends on it. Who wants to exercise after a long day at the office or after a full day of wrangling kids. Mornings give us time to exercise.
- Alone time. You will have time to enjoy that cup of coffee in quiet. Read a book. Meditate. Watch the sunrise. Do what ever your heart desires in the quiet morning before the busyness of the day.
- Mental health. Focusing on fulfilling your own needs can improve your mental health.
HOW DO I WAKE AT 5AM
To wake up at 5am each day, you really need to start the night before with a proper bedtime routine. That will be a future post. For now, take care in trying to get yourself to bed at a reasonable hour.
- One way to get up at 5am is to just do it! Rip that band-aid right off. The worst that can happen is you plop on your face mid afternoon for a quick power nap. No shame. It all works out in the end.
- Set your alarm clock 15-30 minutes earlier than you normally wake. After a few days, set your alarm clock back another 15-30 minutes for a few days. Gradually set back your clock in small increments until you reach your goal of waking at 5am.
I never imagined something as simple as waking at 5am would change everything for me. It has. It has completely transformed my life. I do love staying up late watching movies. I. Love. Movies. I had to choose early mornings or late night binge watching. Nothing can compare to how much my mental and physical health has improved by waking each and every day at 5am.
Try it. Don’t believe me, just try it! You might find that you actually start to enjoy waking early.
Whatever you do, do it with your whole heart.
Be safe and Stay well. ❤